Monday 22 September 2008

Only make a PR effort when you're prepared to receive the response

As an avid reader of the Mashable blog and a communications professional working largely with the Higher Education sector, I was quite interested to see the recent Startup Review of Unigo 'a free online platform for college students to share their opinions, photos, videos and documents'.

It's important that I keep aware of sites like this given that I work so closely with universities, and it's always good to see if any of these have the potential to migrate to the UK. So, I clicked on the link to take a peek at the site and was greeted with a pop-up asking me for a username and password. Now, not only has this site had excellent coverage through Mashable, but according to some of the commments, it appears they have also appeared in the New York Times Magazine. So, why oh why would anyone get such great publicity and mess it up by having a site that doesn't work just when thousands of people will attempt to visit it? I couldn't resist but to express my opinions through the mashable blog post and my own blog.

There's a key message here, and a real fundamental of good communications and PR practice, that if you are going to get some great publicity (and good on them for getting such great mentions) you really need to have everything else in place to back that up, such as a website that actually works otherwise all of that publicity will just go straight down the drain. Such a pity.

No comments: