Tuesday 12 February 2008

Where have all the ties gone?

I think my partner might be getting a little suspicious about where all of his ties keep disappearing to. You see, without him knowing, I have been secretly stealing them (not such a secret once he sees this) for a training session that I am delivering in a couple of weeks time. The session is entitled "Working with Broadcast Media" and is designed for a small group of academics not as media training, but to get them thinking about how they might work with various types of broadcast media to communicate (or dare I say it, publicise) their research. Whenever I deliver presentations or training on this particular subject I love doing a turn on what not to wear (or what to wear), but this time I've decided that it really needs props. As such I am currently hunting down the following items:

- a classic white lab coat (preferably one bearing a University logo): the staple attire of all scientists on TV (and they never bother to iron out the creases of that lab coat that the press officer has just handed them!)

- a bright bold jumper: I have just the one in mind but the academic that I saw wearing it on TV once probably wouldn't lend it to me for this purpose. I don't remember what his research was about but, boy, do I remember that jumper!

- ties with tiny detailed patterns (particularly where the weave of the fabric is made obvious to look nice): particularly hard on the eye on video watched online

- anything in tweed: looks great for an autumn-winter season ladies suit, but not friendly to the camera

- small pin-stripes: again, not so good for online video

- a big pair of earrings: hmmm, might have some of these in my own jewellery box!

No comments: