Saturday 10 January 2009

Is there a benefit to be an 'older' person signing up to Facebook

I've been reading this blog this morning by Samuel Bradley giving tips to college students on using Twitter (though the tips could extend beyond that audience). Bradley advises:

Don’t simply link to your Facebook bio if there’s anything on your profile that you wouldn’t show in front of the class. Rule of thumb: If a link leads in any way to photos of you throwing up after consuming too much alcohol, omit it!

This got me pondering, are those of us that signed up to Facebook in our post-university days in an advantageous position? Okay, so the photos of us throwing up after drinking too much probably still exist, and perhaps they even exist in a digital format (though I'm old enough that most of my uni photos are from good old fashioned film so exist only in hard copy). I would like, at this point, to point out that I am not what you might call a dinosaur. I am 28 years old, so was only a few years out of University before signing up to Facebook, but I just can't help thinking that the photographs of student antics that we enjoyed at university, but might haunt us in our professional lives, are far less likely to find their way onto Facebook. Finally an advantage to hurtling my way to 30!

This argument isn't fully thought through, just my musings, but I wonder, if there is any truth in this, if it could spell an interesting phase for Facebook. I'm perfectly happy for potential clients, employers, and anyone else in my professional life to check me out on Facebook. There are plenty of silly photos of me, but that just shows me being me. There's nothing to worry about. However, for younger folks not yet into their professional lives, I wonder if there might suddenly be a move to close their Facebook accounts down as they start searching for jobs, for fear of what potential employers might see. Dare I say it, could Facebook become the realm of the 'older' generation (I lose that term very loosely indeed!)? It probably will anyway in as much as the 'kids' will have something diffent to amuse themselves, and Facebook will be 'old hat', but for those already on it, could younger antics spell the end of individuals Facebook accounts as they strive to protect their employment prospects.

1 comment:

Manager said...

Tracey - I think I have got to the age where having pictures of me in less sensible situations is actually quite positive - it shows that I was young once!